It’s not often that we write a book review here. But this one is a must read. New York-based Not-for-Profit Dosomething.org shows us how to turn a boring workplace into an exciting, productive, fun-filled environment in a fascinating book called The XYZ Factor: The Dosomething.Org Guide to Creating a Culture of Impact.
The book is written by employees of the organization and edited by the CEO. That counts for something. Collaboration is a given, and this is reflected in the way the book itself is crafted.
The book opens with a gripping introduction that lists the seven secrets that drives the Millennial mindset:
1. Valuing Choice – giving your employees the freedom to choose.
2. Moving fast – Decisions are made at lightning-fast speed
3. Being Nomadic – “Job Hopping is the new normal”
4. Measurable feedback – Receiving instant feedback is ingrained in the millennial mindset. Does your org provide this?
5. Starting over – Millennials are a bit insecure when it comes to failure, and expect a push-restart button in all that they do. Do you give them the space to experiment and fail safely?
6. Always wired – Millennials can juggle over nine devices at any given time and are always plugged in.
7. Life is public – with Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, technology has ensured that privacy is a thing of the past. Social media is the present and the future.
The book gives fascinating insights on how to successfully run an organization that values its young workforce. Anyone over 26 years of age at Dosomething.org is considered ‘old’. What’s more, HR is passe. The Head of Employee Relations is rechristened the Head of Fun 🙂 Approximately 90 employees (which includes about 30 interns) handle a variety of social campaigns and work alongside young members from across the world.
Here’s what they do, in their own words: “DoSomething.org makes the world suck less. One of the largest global orgs for young people and social change, our 3.6 million members tackle campaigns that impact every cause, from poverty to violence to the environment to literally everything else. Any cause, anytime, anywhere. *mic drop”
How they do it is the secret sauce. And you know what? It ain’t no secret no more. Coz they just published a book on how to do it. Pick it up here.
This post first appeared here